In the current, unprecedented climate, Insurers are keeping us, as Brokers, up to date with necessary amendments to Terms. Saifinsure customers should be aware of the following details arising for changes of use within commercial insurances.
These terms apply solely to customers insured under the Saifinsure scheme insured with Aviva Insurance PLC if applicable.
Following the Government announcement of Friday 20th March, we have updated our position on Temporarily Unoccupied Buildings.
Firstly, what does ‘temporarily unoccupied’ mean. We would consider this to be where you have followed Government advice to close your Insured premises and it will be out of use for up to 90 consecutive days.
There is no need to notify AVIVA that your Insured Premises has closed temporarily due to the Covid-19 outbreak.
- You should endeavour where practical and safe to inspect your Insured premises internally and externally and keep a log
- Risk assessments should be carried out on the changing risk/lack of supervision in place
- Any and all hazardous processes to cease (and not run unmanned) and be shut down safely
- Other processes should not be run if there is no adequate supervision; safety should not be comprised
- Heating left on but other critical services powered down if not required, unless to support protection or detection systems
- Drain all water and fuel supply tanks, apparatus and pipes
- All external areas must be clear of waste and combustible materials
- Consider waste build-up and the controls needed if waste collection services are affected
- All fire protection, detection, and security systems to remain active and monitored remotely where possible
- Adequacy of security controls should be assessed based on likely periods of unoccupancy and type of business, particularly in high-crime areas
- Secure and seal all letter boxes and openings and redirect post if necessary
- Consideration should be given to accumulation of vehicles, proximity to buildings, and their security when premises are unattended
- Perimeter security, fences and lighting are in good condition and operational
- All physical security and locking devices are working and in place
- All protection and detection systems are operational
- There are no leaking fluids or spills
- Any unsafe conditions are identified and remedied
In the event of any confusion, please make contact with us directly so that we can clarify the details for you. We will continue to share relevant articles as they evolve and are passed to us.